Friday, May 15, 2015

back at the ranch....



While I was away in Beijing Mom and Dad had their work cut out for them, keeping the household moving smoothly.  I got a phone call the afternoon before I left asking if the girls could be in "one last performance" from the Tang Dynasty poetry contest last semester. 

I groaned.  Not even inwardly.  I outwardly groaned :)  In retrospect I hope the drama teacher on the other end of the line didn't hear it!  

But I was happy to bid farewell to all Tang poetry in January and had no intentions of ever revisiting the subject.  Since the girls school did so well they were invited to one more award ceremony of sorts.

They didn't have to repeat the performance, but they did have a few short lines each and wore the costumes and it all went off without a hitch, with only two days of rehearsal :)


Only 6 of the original troupe of kids were invited to this little outing. I'm guessing that being the only blond-headed ones helps move your name to the top of the list.  There are certainly many perks, and plenty of drawbacks too, in the life of an expat kiddo.


So Wednesday Mom helped get the girls in their gear, and them to school early, and off on their outing.  I got a stream of photos from the drama teacher as I was boarding in Beijing later that afternoon.


I was thrilled to see them looking so happy.  The previous "last performance" was grueling.... long bus rides, long waits backstage, few smiles at the end.


So this was the perfect ending (*fingers crossed that it's really the end*) of the whole shebang.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Performances usually do take on a behind the scenes act from the parents. 😬I recall sewing partridge in pear tree costume(brown tights/shirt yellow crepe paper), Rudolph's malfunctioning nose, poorly times Mom xylophone hits...oh, my oh, my. Yep the performances continue all through the grades at least. great fodder for later funny stories! LOL. Enjoy and keep blogging, dear one. BN p.s. This is meant to be encouraging. Honest!