Wednesday, October 15, 2014

an apple a day

The local school administration gives each child a piece of fruit as they leave school.  Almost. Every. Day. 

[I'm not sure why it's not every day, but it's unusual if the fruit isn't given out, and I'm guessing it has something to do with a faulty delivery truck route or something.]  

I know at least one other local school where this happens, so I'm assuming it's common practice, and likely government funded?  It surely isn't funded by the students, since tuition is free.  

I love this practice.  I love watching the children marching out of school munching on apples (or bananas, oranges, pears, whatever the fruit of the day happens to be).


I love that my little boys clamor to see what snack the girls are bringing, and I'm grateful that (most of the time) the sharing of bites of apple is a happy time of day for this little band of five. 


I wonder about the logistics of 2000 pieces of fruit a day!  I imagine a big delivery truck making it's daily rounds, leaving behind boxes and boxes of fruit in it's wake :) 


Yesterday we waited til we were back inside the complex to start in on the fruit consumption.  It's a pretty peaceful place, huh?  The building beside the fish pond is ours.  In the photo below our windows are just on top of Julianna's head :)  


The afternoon 'pick up the girls walk' is a new routine for us.  Sure, at times the not-quite-one-mile-round-trip can feel long.  It's hard to cover much ground when you pick up every bug, jump on every loose sidewalk tile, stop to look at every interesting vehicle.  Add in the "together five of us are sharing two apples bite by bite" and it can take us 20plus minutes to get home!  

But it's a great late afternoon activity!  

2 comments:

Grandmama said...

Loved the photo of the five siblings - precious! We love you!

Kelly said...

What a fun after school activity. And fruit consumption too!
Love you all,
Kelly